BLUFPakistan is a nuclear-armed state with a fragile parliamentary democracy, a situation not helped by natural disasters such as flooding and earthquakes.
Amin Saikal writing in the Strategist, makes the following points:
- Previous PM Khan blames his ousting on a US-led conspiracy against him due to his ‘independent foreign policy.’
- Pakistan is beset by economic and social problems exacerbated by natural disasters.
- The potential for political fragmentation in a nuclear-capable state can destabilise the region and hurt the people of Pakistan and its neighbours.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- The China-Pakistan Partnership Continues to Deepen | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Russia’s Asia diplomacy | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- MAR 2022 Pakistan’s fence-sitting on Ukraine is being noticed internationally-the Strategist
- AUG 2022 Why has Pakistan not realized its potential?-DW