BLUFChina and Pakistan share mutual strategic interests that continue to strengthen their relationship.
China and Pakistan have had a close relationship for 70 years. This relationship appears to be getting even stronger, as demonstrated by the following:
- Chinese made Main Battle Tanks and uninhabited combat aerial vehicles (UCAVs) made available to Pakistan.
- The recent visit of the Chinese Defence Minister to Pakistan.
- The signing of a Defence cooperation Memorandum of Understanding (MoU).
- China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
- China-Pakistan military exercises including:
Some reasons for the strengthening of the relationship are:
- Pakistan hostility towards India.
- Chinese wolf warrior diplomacy means many countries are distancing themselves from China.
- India is becoming closer to the USA through the QUAD.
- China needs Pakistan to help prevent the Taliban takeover of Afghanistan from spreading to Xinjiang province in China.
- Potentially greater Chinese access to Central Asia through Afghanistan.
- China needing to demonstrate loyalty to its closest ally.
- Jun 2021 Global Times Strong China-Pakistan relations have nothing to do with India: Pakistani PM
- Jun 2021 Hindu Pakistan under pressure from U.S., Western powers over close ties with China: Imran Khan
- Mar 2021 Politico Pakistan learns the cost of an alliance with China