BLUFLloyd Austin, the US defense secretary, wants to see more US troops training in Australia, which would signal the US commitment to Indo-Pacific security.
This article by Doug G. Ware, writing for Stars & Stripes, makes the following points:
- The enhanced rotations are intended to provide more security for allies in the
- The Indo-Pacific region is an area of concern for the US and Australia because of expanding Chinese influence in the region.
- During the news conference, Austin also said Japan would play a crucial part in developing better regional security.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Pictures revealed of US-Australian Army base planned for the Northern Territory | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- DEC 2022 U.S. to increase rotational military presence in Australia, invite Japan—Reuters
- DEC 2022 Australia and United States vow to increase military cooperation amid rising Chinese presence in Pacific—ABC News