BLUFThe writers provide an overview of how a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can enhance your online security.
A Virtual Private Network (VPN) allows users to create a secure connection to another network over the Internet. What it does is direct all of your online activity to a secure site. Then that secure site links you to the site you wanted to access. In practice, this means that if somebody was able to hack into your computer while you were online, all they would see was the VPN site; this applies to information going out and coming in. A good VPN is relatively expensive. However, never used a free VPN as that site might be making money by selling your information; see: You should never use a free VPN. Here's why. And you should certainly never use a private VPN on a work computer. A good VPN can do the following:
- Protection from snooping on untrustworthy WiFi.
- Gain some anonymity online by hiding your location.
- Secure file downloading.
- Mar 2021 US News What is a VPN
- Mar 2021 PC MAG What Is a VPN, and Why You Need One
- Mar 2021 MYBROADBAND Why you should stay away from free VPNs
- Apr 2021 Security org VPN Guide
- Apr 2021 ZDNet Google backs new security standard for smartphone VPN apps