BLUFStarting a new job can be stressful—but tackling your new role with an emotionally intelligent approach can make a big difference.
This article by Harvey Deutschendorf, writing for Fast Company, makes the following points:
- Join employee resource groups.
- Emotionally intelligent people ask for help and practice active listening.
- Learn to identify the culture and inner workings of an organization.
- Focus on remaining open, friendly, and going out of your way to introduce yourself.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- A Conversation with Daniel Goleman on Emotional Intelligence, Emotions & Leadership | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- DEC 2020 What People (Still) Get Wrong About Emotional Intelligence—HBR
- JUN 2021 How to Deploy Emotional Intelligence for Work Success—Entrepreneur
- AUG 2021 The Importance of Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace—Indeed
- MAY 2022 How to make a great first impression when you on-board for that new job—Forbes