BLUFThe US giving priority to its relationship with Indonesia, which is good news for Australia.
The US is giving the Indo-Pacific serious attention.
Mr Biden's became the first sitting US president to address a Pacific Islands Forum leaders meeting.
Secretary of State Antony Blinken has visited India, Kuwait and the ASEAN Regional Foreign Ministers Meeting.
Concerning Indonesia, Blinken:
- Formerly launched a strategic dialogue between the United States and Indonesia that had been agreed in 2015.
- Supported Indonesia's 2022 chairmanship of the G20 and increased trade and investment.
- Confirmed a further 3.5 million COVID -19 vaccine doses and oxygen supplies.
- Reiterated that both countries are working together in many different areas, including:
- The economy.
- Sustainable Development Goals.
- Indonesia's Foreign Minister noted:
- It's the largest country (population 276 mil) and economy in ASEAN.
- The United States was one of the critical partners for ASEAN in implementing its outlook for the Indo-Pacific.
- Indonesia wants to advance the relationship.
- Nov 2020 The Strategist Pompeo hits some bum notes in Indonesia
- Aug 2021 CAN US Secretary of State Blinken says he is launching strategic dialogue with Indonesia
- Aug 2021 the Economic Times Indonesia hails 'new era' for United States ties, hosts biggest joint military drills
- Aug 2021 Devdiscourse Blinken launching strategic dialogue with Indonesia