BLUFThis test could be a forerunner of things to come—an AI could theoretically plan and map the mission and then fly the mission with minimal input from the ground team.
Sascha Brodsky writing in Popular Mechanics, makes the following points:
- Developed by Lockheed’s Skunk Works and Calspan Corporation.
- Sixth-generation fighters are expected to have the option to fly without pilots, including the US Air Force’s Next Generation Air Dominance (NGAD) fighter.
- Russia is upgrading its fighters with AI to allow pairs of fighters to share information efficiently.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
- FEB 2023 Fully autonomous F-16 fighter jet takes part in simulated dogfights-the New Scientist
- FEB 2023 AI flies F-16-inspired jet for 17 hours in first test with tactical aircraft-the Hill