BLUFA whole of government approach is needed to ensure the U.S. Air Force 6th generation Next Generation Air Dominance (NGAD) fighter is operational before the end of the decade.
Brent M Eastwood writing in 19fortyfive makes the following points:
- Likely to be double or triple the cost of an F-35.
- Now in the engineering and manufacturing development phase.
- Should take over from the very expensive to operate F-22 Raptor and utilise Loyal Wingman and Skyborg concepts.
- Likely be forward-deployed in Guam with a 2,000+ nautical mile range and perhaps a 70,000 feet ceiling.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- F-35 01: COLLECTION - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- The Air Force’s Secret New Fighter Jet Will Get Software Updates as It Flies - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- The artificial intelligence ‘backseater’ in future air combat - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Fielding Tomorrow's Air Force Faster and Smarter: 2019 Air Warfare Symposium - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- JUL 2022 NGAD in pictures: What might the US’ sixth-generation fighter jet look like?-Aerotime Hub
- AUG 2022 F-22 Raptors Are ‘Killing’ Next-Gen NGAD Fighter, B-21 Bomber Program, US Air Force’s Top Acquisition Official Says-the EurAsian Times