The US Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) is preparing to solicit interest in a contract to help the US military observe and track objects that reside between geostationary orbit and the moon.
This article by Courtney Albon, writing for Defense News, makes the following points:
- The proposed contract will undertake a new experiment on cislunar space domain awareness.
- The cislunar domain is between geostationary orbit, 35 000 km from the earth and the moon's orbit.
- The new projects come as the US Defense Department makes a notable shift in its posture toward cislunar space.
- It no longer views potential deep-space threats as part of a far-off future.
- The Department now recognises that space threats may present much sooner than previously expected.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web: