Recent person to person talks between the USA and China showed that geopolitical competition is as prevalent as ever. There were no diplomatic niceties. The US reiterated the importance of the rules-based international order that maintains global stability. However, human rights seem to be more important to the Biden administration than it was to its predecessor.
- The USA's stated concerns with China are as follows;
- Uighur internment camps.
- Hong Kong democracy.
- Taiwan status quo.
- Cyber attacks.
- Economic coercion of allies.
China criticised the US for the following:
- Being a struggling democracy.
- The poor treatment of minorities.
- Foreign and trade policies
- Interference in China's internal affairs.
Previously, China had stated it wanted to improve relations with the US, but this did not transpire during the meeting. The US said relations with China would not improve until the economic coercion of its allies (including Australia) by China cease. Consider how the US, specifically mentioning its allies in talks with China, helps Australia.
- Mar 2021 Leave Australia out of this: China to US
- Mar 2021 'Deep concerns': US and China trade criticism in Alaska meeting – video
- Mar 2021 Nikkei Asia US and China start Alaska meeting with blunt words
- Mar 2021 Financial Review Leave Australia out of this: China to USv
- Mar 2021 ABC The US and China are preparing for war — and Australia is caught in the crosshairs
- Mar 2021 ABC US and China complete 'tough and direct' talks in Alaska
- Mar 21021 Financial Review Aggro in Anchorage as US and China trade barbs
- Mar 2021 SMH US, China friction further complicates Australia’s predicament