BLUFThis article from the RAAF technology news web pages reports that the Australian Government has opened R&D Centre to research and possibly develop hypersonic missiles—missiles that can go at five times the speed of sound.
This article from a non RAAF commerical source makes the following points:
- Hypersonic research centre opened at Eagle Farm in Brisbane.
- Will research and develop hypersonic weapons capabilities.
- New facility will be able to generate true hypersonic flight conditions.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Hypersonics and a Vision for Australian Space | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Hypersonic weapons are coming—whether we’re ready or not | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- DEC 2021 China says it has hypersonic missiles with heat-seeking tech – years before US | South China Morning Post (scmp.com)
- DEC 2021 Defense act makes hypersonic top priority, calls for investing billions (cnbc.com)
- JAN 2022 Austin pushes to fast-track hypersonic missiles as China, Russia make gains - POLITICO
- JAN 2022 What are hypersonic weapons, and why is there a race between China, the US and others to develop them? | South China Morning Post (scmp.com)