BLUFAustralia's core national interests are security and economic prosperity. In this uncertain strategic environment, northern Australia's social, economic and infrastructure needs and its prosperity are crucial to national resilience, security and defence.
Gill Savage writing in the Strategist, makes the following points:
- Our complex world can create unexpected and unintended consequences —economic, social and defence.
- Northern Australia is essential for food supply, agriculture, and sovereign capability.
- Infrastructure might not be fit for purpose.
- Remote communities face more frequent and extreme weather.
- Anything that narrows our strategic choices or limits our policy options is a potential threat to national security.
- Strategic policy, government, community and industry should all be part of the Defence Strategic Review.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Preparing for the Future: Key Organisational Lessons from the Afghanistan Campaign | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- The defence of Australia requires a new force posture review | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- SEP 2022 Blue-sky thinking on the Defence Strategic Review- the Interpreter
- OCT 2022 The Whole of Nation Challenge: Australia Focuses on the Way Ahead for Defence-defense.info
- OCT Defence review must consider force posture in the context of Australia’s strategic geography-the Strategist