The Australian Government is moving forward with plans to establish a $1 billion home-grown Sovereign Guided Weapons Enterprise to boost Australia’s defence production capabilities.
The COVID-19 pandemic has demonstrated that global supply chains can be disrupted very quickly. The Australian government is also facing a deteriorating security situation and is moving to establish a planned $1 billion Sovereign Guided Weapons Enterprise. This process should help Australia become less reliant on imports regarding items such as missiles. The Australian defence department will now begin the process of selecting a strategic industry partner to produce guided missiles. The increasing assertiveness of China and the ongoing pandemic have strengthened Australia's resolve to create more sovereign capability. As quoted in the article, the Prime Minister points out:
'As the COVID-19 pandemic has shown, having the ability for self-reliance, be it vaccine development or the defence of Australia, is vital to meeting our own requirements in a changing global environment.'
- Mar 2021 ABC Australia to produce its own guided missiles as part of billion-dollar defence manufacturing plan
- Mar 2021 Financial Review Morrison takes aim with $1b boost to missile manufacturing
- Mar 2021 ABC Taiwan begins mass production of long-range missile amid China tensions
- Mar 2021 Nine News Pentagon pushes for island missile defence system to counter China
- Mar 2021 US Defense News Hypersonic and directed-energy weapons: Who has them, and who’s winning the race in the Asia-Pacific?