Effective leaders are good managers, and good managers are effective leaders—an important fact that sometimes gets forgotten.
This article by James R Bailey, writing for Harvard Business Review, makes these points about the debate between management and leadership:
- One of the more precise distinctions is by Warren Bennis :
- The manager has his eye on the bottom line; the leader has his eye on the horizon
- The manager asks how and when; the leader asks what and why
- The manager has a short-range view; the leader has a long-range perspective.
- Overall, it’s OK to identify the two roles, but don’t forget that both depend on each other.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web :