BLUFNorthrop Grumman has successfully tested the AN/AAQ-28(V) Litening targeting pod in a F/A-18F Super Hornet, which should enable the F/A-18F to continue as one of the most sophisticated non-stealth fighters.
Maya Carlin writing in 19FortyFive makes the following points:
- The Classic Hornet was the first tactical airframe designed for air-to-air and air-to-ground missions.
- The first fighter to use digital fly-by-wire flight controls and feature carbon fibre wings.
- All F/A-18s can undertake air superiority, reconnaissance, fighter escort, and close air support.
References from the Web:
- FEB 2023 Navy’s Super Hornet fighter jets are aging worse than F-18 predecessors, report says-Stars and Stripes
- FEB 2023 Navy Super Hornet fleet aging faster, less available than predecessor fleet: CBO-Breaking Defense
- Feb 2023 CBO Report on Super Hornet Availability-United States Naval Institute