BLUFProlonged drought periods change the soil's nature, making it more like concrete, hampering its ability to absorb water and increasing flash floods creating a vicious cycle.
Amit Kawala writing in Wired, makes the following points:
- Drought can turn flash flooding into a significant problem.
- Droughts, wildfires and floods could make subsequent droughts and floods more severe by killing or removing vegetation.
- Undulating open space with swales, berms and plant diversity can reduce the risk of flooding.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- ADF will need more resources to deal with climate and regional security crises - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Climate and Security in the Indo-Asia Pacific - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- SEP 2022 Country Breakfast features China's drought-RN ABC
- SEP 2022 Drought-the Guardian
- SEP 2022 Western Wildfires-NBC News