In this Slate article, Fred Kaplan argues invading Ukraine was the easy part for Russia, but controlling Ukraine while sanctions bite might prove almost impossible.
Fred Kaplan, makes the following points:
- US sanctions against Russia could take months, or even longer, to have any affect.
- Ukraine is putting up a fierce fight but it is doubtful the country can keep Russia from accomplishing their aims for very long.
- After the main fight is over, Russian troops in or around Ukraine will have to remain as an occupation force—and they will face tough resistance.
- The sight of body bags coming home may turn Russia’s public against Putin’s invasion.
- Putin’s aggression has patched wedges between NATO allies and unified the alliance more solidly than at any time since the end of the Cold War.
RAAF Professional Military Education
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web: