BLUFIranian military advisors are training Russians in the use of Iranian-supplied drones. Iran is also likely to supply ballistic missiles; further, Iran and Russia are assisting each other in circumventing Western sanctions.
John Hardie writing in Foreign Policy, makes the following points:
- Iran likely hopes to increase arms deals with Russia and improve its drone and ballistic missile capabilities.
- Supporting Russia distracts the West from confronting Iran’s attempt to dominate the Middle East..
- Iran and Russia have shared interests- support for Syrian dictator Bashar al-Assad and opposition to the West.
- Russia supported Iranian membership in the Chinese and Russian-led Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- RUSSIAN-UKRAINE CONFLICT—RAAF RUNWAY COLLECTION
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC.
References from the Web:
- SEP 2022 What is the Shanghai Cooperation Organisation and does it matter?-the Strategist
- NOV 2022 Iran is preparing to send additional weapons including ballistic missiles to Russia to use in Ukraine, western officials say-CNN
- Article Source: Foreign Policy – the Global Magazine of News and Ideas
- Media Check: Foreign Policy -Media Bias/Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)