BLUFCold War era Turkish 2A4 Leopard tanks were deployed in Syria without infantry support—ten were destroyed/damaged by ISIS anti-tank missiles, mines, IEDs, rockets, etc.
Sebastien Roblin writing in the National Interest, makes the following points:
- The 2A4 model was designed to fight in highly mobile concentrated units.
- Not meant to confront IEDs and missiles fired by ambushing insurgents.
- An arms embargo by most Western allies has forced Turkey to develop its domestic arms industry.
- The upgraded tanks have new heavy track skirts, gun mantlets, turrets, armour protection, underbelly protection, optics and a fire control system.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
- JUN 2021 How One Of World’s Most Powerful Main Battle Tanks ‘Leopard 2’ Was Decimated By ISIS In Syria- the EurAsian Times
- JAN 2023 Leopard 2 tanks: what are they and why does Ukraine want them?-the Guardian