BLUFThis article suggests that Elon Musk's focus won't be cars but robots this year.
This article by Jane Wakefield, writing for BBC News, makes the following points:
- Musk believes that the development of robots Project Optimus
- is possibly the most important thing Tesla works on this year.
- He also said the robot would have a screen on its 'ace', lift 150lb, travel at about five mph and help solve labour shortages, although there isn't a prototype yet.
- Previous efforts to create cost-effective mass-market humanoid robots have failed.
- Some experts remain sceptical.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- A new generation of AI-powered robots is taking over warehouses | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- 19 A.I. experts reveal the biggest myths about robots | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the web:
- Jan 2022 PCWorld Tesla ramps up plans to create Optimus humanoid robot
- Jan 2022 Business Insider Elon Musk says Tesla’s humanoid robot is the most important product it’s working on — and could eventually outgrow its car business
- Jan 2022 CNET 'You have to distance yourself from it being a human': Meeting Ameca the humanoid