BLUFChinese advanced destroyers, silent diesel-electric submarines, and dual-use merchant ships could pose a significant threat to the US and the US's allies and partners.
This article by Brad Lendon from CNN makes the following points:
- China has the world's largest navy.
- Its first 'Big Deck' aircraft carrier launched has an electromagnetic catapult-assisted launch system.
- Potential sinking would damage morale.
Four categories of vessels pose a more significant threat.
Type 055 stealth guided-missile destroyer.
- More powerful than most US, Japanese, and South Korean destroyers.
- One hundred twelve vertical launch tubes (RAN Hunter Class 32) for anti-ship, hypersonic and long-range land-attack missiles.
Type 039 submarine.
- Almost silent diesel-electric.
- 17 complete, 25 projected by 2025.
- Air independent propulsion (AIP).
- "Wake-homing" torpedos.
- Massive merchant fleet quickly convertible to military use.
- At least 122 vessels.
- Used to harass foreign drilling ships or block foreign fishing boats.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Reviewing China’s New Stealth Fighters | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- China military watch | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- AUG 2021 Mind The Gap: How China’s Civilian Shipping Could Enable A Taiwan Invasion- War on the Rocks
- NOV 2021 Pulling Back the Curtain on China’s Maritime Militia-CSIS
- JUN 2022 China’s Third Aircraft Carrier Is Aimed At A Post-U.S. Asia- Lowy Institute
- JUN 2022 China upgrades its naval force with its first indigenous aircraft carrier- NPR
Source Information: CNN
- Article Source: CNN
- Media Check: CNN Media Bias/Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC |