BLUFUnited States Marines attached to the new 3rd Marine Littoral Regiment will join ground forces, ships and aircraft from 26 countries for this year’s Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) maritime exercise off Hawaii.
This article by Gidget Fuentes, writing for USNI, makes the following points:
- RIMPAC is the world’s largest international maritime exercise.
- It provides a unique training opportunity designed to foster and sustain relationships critical to ensuring the safety of sea lanes and security on the world’s oceans.
- About 25,000 military personnel will participate in the exercise from 29 June until 4 August.
- This year, the biennial exercise—hosted by the Hawaii-based US Pacific Fleet—involves 38 surface ships, four submarines and more than 170 aircraft.
- While the Hawaii-based 3rd Marines have joined previous RIMPAC exercises, this year marks the first time it will participate after its recent reorganisation.
References from the Web:
- MAY 2022 New Navy Unmanned Command Will Send 4 Experimental Large USVs to RIMPAC—USNI
- JUN 2022 World's largest naval exercises to include all 4 Quad nations and 5 South China Sea countries—CNN
- JUN 2022 World’s largest joint naval exercise a message to China—Asia Times