BLUFThe US is ‘Stepping up” in the South Pacific Region, for example, the China-Solomon Islands Security Agreement. The US also aims to build capacity in the PNG defence force through training and infrastructure.
Natalie Whiting writing for ABC News, makes the following points:
- The US and PNG already have a Status of Forces Agreement and a "shipriders agreement" allowing PNG defence personnel to travel on US coastguard and some naval vessels.
- The United States, Australia and Papua New Guinea are redeveloping Lombrum naval base, Manus Island.
- PNG has a Status of Forces Agreement with France, allowing training and exercises in PNG and New Caledonia.
- PNG intends to ratify a Defence Cooperation Agreement with Indonesia this year.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- PNG COLLECTION | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC
References from the Web:
- SEP 2022 A Framework for U.S. Engagement with Papua New Guinea-United states Institute for Peace
- JAN 2023 Australia and Papua New Guinea to further defence treaty during Anthony Albanese's visit to Port Moresby-ABC News