BLUFBill Roggio argues that as of 18 Mar, the Russian military has not collapsed—Ukraine has won the media war, but that does not necessarily translate into victory on the ground.
Bill Roggio from the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, a US think tank, in an article about the 2022 Russo-Ukrainian conflict, makes the following points:
- Western media have reported that the Russian military would collapse, which as of 18 Mar does not appear to be happening.
- There is a lot of reporting about Russian losses and very little about Ukrainian losses.
- Ukrainian President Zelensky has stated that he does not expect Ukraine to join NATO.
- Conventional warfare is time-consuming.
- It took 42 days for the USA to conquer Iraq in 2003.
- At this stage, both sides have shown a willingness to continue fighting.
When reading about the 2022 Russo-Ukraine conflict, it is essential to be aware of 'Confirmation Bias' when reading the news. This from Britannica:
confirmation bias, the tendency to process information by looking for, or interpreting, information that is consistent with one's existing beliefs
For an opposing view to Roggio's article worth noting the following articles:
- Is Russia losing its war with Ukraine? - Vox
- Marine Special Ops commander analyzes Russia's invasion of Ukraine (taskandpurpose.com)
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- RUSSIAN-UKRAINE CONFLICT—RAAF RUNWAY COLLECTION
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC.
References from the Web :
- 19 MAR 2022 Ukraine-Russia war updates: Drone footage shows devastation from Russian bombing in Kyiv and Mariupol - ABC News
- 19 MAR Russia-Ukraine war: what we know on day 24 of the invasion | Ukraine | The Guardian
Source Information The Foundation for Defense of Democracies (FDD)
- Article Source: FDD | The Foundation for Defense of Democracies
- Media Check: Foundation for Defense of Democracies - Media Bias/Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)