BLUFIf elected, South Korean presidential candidate vows to persuade the US to provide South Korea with nuclear-powered submarine technology.
- Lee Jae-myun is South Korea's ruling Democratic Party's contender in upcoming elections.
- He is in a tight electoral race against the People Power party's Yoon Suk-yeol.
- Lee said, that if elected, he would convince the USA to help South Korea develop its own nuclear-powered submarine.
- Lee referenced the AUKUS deal.
- He said it was absolutely essential for South Korea to have nuclear submarines based on US technology.
- He said he was only interested in dealing with the USA.
- Lee noted that fresh talks with North Korea should be aimed at dismantling the north's nuclear missile programs.
- SEP 2021 The US Should Support South Korea's Nuclear Submarine Aspirations – The Diplomat
- DEC 2021 A Bipartisan Consensus on South Korea's Foreign Policy? – The Diplomat
- DEC 2021 South Korea doesn't need to pick between US and China, says presidential candidate Lee Jae-myung | South China Morning Post (scmp.com)
- DEC 2021 South Korea's First Nuclear Submarine Looks Closer - Naval News