Coryanne Hicks notes that: ‘Every discipline has a language’, and ‘business skills are the language of business’.
Hicks notes the following skills which she believes are vital to succeed in business.
- Communication skills: Effective communication is a vital skill in nearly every job.
- Negotiation: Involves different types of negotiation, ranging from where to hold a meeting up to negotiating the sale of a company.
- Leadership skills: Involves many skills such as communication, delegation and problem-solving.
- Critical Thinking: Can involve being sceptical about data and information, at least until you have seen some supporting evidence.
- Data Analysis: Involves the collection and analysis of data.
- Financial Literacy: Understanding finance and accounting is essential for most management roles.
- Emotional Intelligence: Understanding your own and other people’s emotions can be helpful, but worth noting this famous Atlantic article: The Dark Side of Emotional Intelligence
- Organisation: Involves being able to define and accomplish organisational goals.
- Trainability: Your aptitude for learning.
Consider how the above skills might be applied in our air force.