BLUFNo matter the casualties, Putin is determined to gain small military victories at all costs by capturing two towns with limited strategic value. In contrast, Ukraine continues to attack Russian weak points—the different approaches reflect the different styles of Putin and Zelenskyy's leadership.
Mick Ryan writing for the ABC makes the following points:
- The Russians have chosen to attack the Donbas, where the Ukrainians have strong defences.
- Volunteers continue to join the Ukrainian Army as part of a national will to win the war.
- Russia is using a mix of conscripts and mercenaries.
- Zelenskyy can afford to be patient, whereas Putin appears desperate for something he can call a victory.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
- DEC 2022 Will Moscow Refresh its Military Strategy?- RUSI
- JAN 2023 Without Hesitation, Ukraine Goes Toe to Toe With Russia in Bakhmut- New York Times