BLUFThe United States plans to build facilities for their B-52s at Tindal air base, south of Darwin.
This article ABC-Australia, articles makes the following points:
- Up to six B-52 bombers will eventually be based in Tindal.
- Experts claim that this is aimed squarely at China as a result of China's bellicose statements about being prepared to use military force to invade Taiwan.
- The US has developed detailed plans for a squadron operations facility, an adjoining maintenance centre and a parking bay for six B-52s.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- B-52s flying bomber task force missions over Europe | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Warning To China: Why The U.S. Air Force Sent 4 B-2 Bombers To Australia | The Runway
References from the Web:
- OCT 2022 Nuclear Capable B-52s To Be Regularly Based At RAAF Base Tindal—Australian Aviation
- OCT 2022 U.S. plans to deploy B-52 bombers to Australia's north-ABC report—Reuters