BLUFThe exercise aims to demonstrate to adversaries such as Iran and China that Washington is not too distracted by the Ukraine war to mobilize a large military force and that Israel is a trusted partner.
This article by Courtney Kube, writing for NBC News, makes the following points:
- Juniper Oak 23 is the most significant joint exercise between the US and Israel to date.
- This exercise involves 6,400 US personnel and 1,100 Israeli personnel.
- Aircraft involved include B-52 bombers, F-35 and F/A-18 fighter jets, and MQ-9 Reaper drones.
References from the Web:
- JAN 2023 Biggest U.S.-Israel War Games Ever Are Underway—The Drive
- JAN 2023 Israel, US wrap up largest-ever joint drill in message to Iran—Times of Israel