BLUFThe Australian government has authorised major military construction works at Port of Darwin and RAAF Bases Darwin and Tindal.
This article by Seth Robson, writing for Stars & Stripes, makes the following points:
- The US Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps will use—as well as the ADF—the new Australian facilities.
- The construction is being funded by both the US and Australian governments.
- The facilities will support Australian and USA Joint Force force training.
- The focus will likely be on defending small islands in the pacific region from potential Chinese aggression.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- A flare up in China’s deliberate pattern of aggression | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- USMC chief says marines operating concepts a natural fit for Australia | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- MAR 2022 US to send up to 2,200 troops to Northern Territory as China tensions build—news.com.au
- JUL 2022 Without Naming China, Australian Defense Chief Announces Major Military Buildup In Indo-Pacific—Eurasian Times
- AUG 2022 Will Australia support the US in a war between Taiwan and China? Ask the military chiefs, not our political leaders—ABC News
- AUG 2022 Biden Looks East—The Atlantic