The Pentagon plans to spend almost $18 billion on a new missile program
Major points relating to the proposed missile program are as follows:
- Need to counter incoming missiles from North Korea or Iran.
- Missile designs to be developed by: Lockheed Martin Corp. and Northrop Grumman Corp.
- Design stage to cost approximately USD 13 billion.
- By 2026 US government will have selected the winning design.
- The production phase is estimated to cost USD 2.3 billion.
- The interceptors should be able to destroy incoming missiles.