BLUFThe US has approved the sale of stealthy JASSM-ERs with a range of 935 km; these missiles can be launched from an F-35 or a Hornet.
This article from Asia Times makes the following points:
- The US perceives Australia as a vital ally.
- The sale of the JASSM-ER extends the strike range of existing RAAF frontline fighters.
- In addition, this acquisition might reduce the need for refuelling RAAF aircraft.
- Australia, in partnership with Lockheed Martin and Raytheon, has begun the process of being able to assemble advanced missiles in Australia.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Australia opens hypersonics centre to support defence research | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Australia wins U.S. approval to buy rocket launchers | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- JULY 2022 US approves JASSM ER sale to Australia - Australian Defence Magazine
- JULY 2022 Australia approved for JASSM-ER package (janes.com)