BLUFWikipedia is twenty years old and is probably the best place to get a quick overview—and find source references—about almost anything.
This article from Wired magazine notes the following:
- Wikipedia is the eighth-most-visited site in the world.
- The English-language version recently surpassed 6 million articles and 3.5 billion words.
- It is a free encyclopaedia that covers the whole range of human knowledge.
- Its articles are written almost entirely by unpaid volunteers.
- Most articles contain references to the source(s) of information.
- It is the only not-for-profit internet site in the top 10.
- Unlike Facebook and Twitter, Wikipedia's product is de-personified, collaborative, and for the general good.
- Wikipedia, due to constant editing, is usually kept up to date.
- One reason for Wikipedia's success is the number of facts in the universe keeps on growing.
- Using crowdsourcing ensures that consensus is reached relatively quickly.
- As platforms like Google and Alexa work to provide instant answers to random questions, Wikidata will be one of the critical architectures that link the world's information together.
- Wikipedia uses an AI to cross-reference and link its articles.
Think about how often you use Wikipedia and whether you can trust the information you obtain from Wikipedia.
- Jan 2020 The World How Wikipedia’s volunteer army combats misinformation in the 'post-truth' era
- Feb 2020 The Atlantic Mapping Wikipedia An unprecedented data set shows where the encyclopedia’s editors are, where they aren’t, and why.
- Oct 2020 Esquire What We Know And Can Agree On: Wikipedia At 20
- Nov 2020 Science AAAS Scholars reflect on Wikipedia’s 20 years of crowdsourced knowledge
- Dec 2020 Illinois Library Peer Review: An Introduction: Why not just use Google or Wikipedia?
- Dec 2020 Mashable 22 facts you never knew about Wikipedia
- Dec 2020 Digital Information World Wikipedia shares the list of top 10 reads of the year 2020
- Jan 2021 The Economist Wikipedia is 20, and its reputation has never been higher