BLUFWomen are a vital component in the whole of nation approach required for Australian security.
Women are a force multiplier. The author makes the following points:
- Modern warfare is not just about combat.
- More than physical strength is needed to operate on a smart battlefield using drones and asymmetrical warfare.
- Female engagement and cultural support teams, gender field advisors and focal points add to battlefield effectiveness.
- Women soldiers are needed for helping female ex-combatants reintegrate into civilian life, interview gender-based violence survivors, mentor female cadets, interact with women in societies where women are prohibited from speaking to men and serve as role models.
- A warrior could be involved in stability and peace support operations, community and key leader engagement, cyber warfare and intelligence.
- The three critical components of leadership, character, competence and courage, aren’t gender-specific.
- Current leadership models favour males leading to a narrower set of leadership skills.