BLUFThe world will probably reach 10.4 billion in the 2080s, then begin to fall; wihtouth immigration, the replacement rate is 2.1 children per woman—Australia’s current birth rate is 1.794 per woman.
Casey Briggs writing in ABC News, makes the following points:
- An ageing population puts pressure on the tax base, potentially changing how and where government funds are spent.
- Many ‘mundane ‘jobs are likely to be automated, freeing up workers for growing service/health industries.
- The Philippines, India, Pakistan and parts of Africa account for over half the population increase.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Could China’s population start falling? - The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- How humanity doubled life expectancy in a century- The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- NOV 2022 World population to reach 8 billion on 15 November 2022-UN
- NOV 2022 The World Population Just Hit 8 Billion and Here’s How It Will Continue to Grow-Scientific American