BLUFAir Vice-Marshal Cath Roberts—speaks about the unconscious bias against young women who want to join the defence force—not necessarily from the young women but from their parents.
This article by Andrew Greene, writing for ABC-Australia, makes the following points:
- Air Vice-Marshal Roberts is the first commander of Australia's Defence Space Command—a Canberra-based organisation that includes Air Force, Navy and Army personnel.
- Speaking to the ANU Women in a National Security podcast, the senior officer reflected on how she was forced to dumb herself down to avoid criticism from men early in her ADF career.
- The Engineering Officer also outlined how male colleagues would often ignore her perspective in meetings and only recognise her point when other men brought it up.
- Asked about what stops some women from enlisting, Air Vice-Marshal Roberts referenced society's unconscious bias towards females in the military.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- 'SPACE' (Operating in and use of) 01: COLLECTION | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Alternative Link: 'SPACE' (Operating in and use of) 01: COLLECTION
References from the Web:
- Mar 2022 pace commander 'scared' Australia lagging in military space capability, as Russia and China reach for the stars - ABC News
- MAR 2022 Space Command begins operations—ADM