SpaceX is trialling a new water deluge system for Starship, designed to minimise damage to the launch pad during liftoff. This initiative follows a previous launch that caused significant damage due to the absence of such a system.
- The system can spray 350,000 gallons of water during ignition.
- Water absorbs energy from the rocket, vaporized by engine heat.
- April launch scorched the launch pad, and scattered debris widely.
- FAA facing lawsuit for allowing launch without deluge system.
- SpaceX under NASA contracts to use Starship for lunar missions.