BLUFThe United States Special Operations Command has selected the AT-802U Sky Warden for its Armed Overwatch program.
This article by Stephen Losey, writing for Defense News, makes the following points:
- The contract will be worth up to $3 billion.
- L3Harris Technologies and Air Tractor manufacture the Sky Warden.
- The US Armed Overwatch program aims to build a fleet of up to 75 flexible, fixed-wing aircraft suitable for deployment to harsh locations.
- Can operate with only a small logistical tail.
- The Sky Warden is expected to reach initial operating capability in 2026.
References from the Web:
- 2021 air Tractor, L3Harris reveal Sky Warden ISR and light strike aircraft (janes.com)
- AUG 2022 Modified Crop Duster Chosen For Special Ops Armed Overwatch Mission—The Drive
- AUG 2022 L3Harris Sky Warden attack plane wins SOCOM’s Armed Overwatch program—Breaking Defense