BLUFUS carrier-based aircraft were crucial in the Pacific theatre. The rugged and reliable Grumman F4F Wildcat was initially the main fighter. However, rapid technological improvements created the F6F Hellcat, which proved highly effective in combat.
- The Vought F4U Corsair fighter bomber was the most produced-12,571 aircraft.
- Used for air-to-air combat, interception, ground attack, close-air support, intelligence-surveillance-reconnaissance
- AIR AND SPACE POWER: COLLECTIONS | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- MILITARY HISTORY GENERAL ARTICLES | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Eastern Division FM-1 (Grumman F4F-4) Wildcat-National Air and Space Museum
- F6F-3 Hellcat- National Naval Aviation Museum
- Grumman TBF/TBM Avenger-Pearl Harbor Aviation Museum
- 1947 U. S. NAVAL AVIATION in the PACIFIC- The Office of the Chief of Naval Operations UNITED STATES NAVY