BLUFThe term ‘unmanned’ is a hangover from the age of sail. More appropriate terms are 'uncrewed', 'crewless', or 'autonomous.'
Adam James Fenton and Ioannis Chapsos writing in DefenseNews, make the following points:
- In the U.S. Navy, women represent 19% of officers and 20% of enlisted personnel.
- Uncrewed and autonomous vessels will be open to cyber-attack.
- The International Maritime Organisation has a “four degrees of autonomy” framework.
- A Degree Three ship is remotely controlled from another location without mariners.
- A Degree four ship is fully autonomous.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
- JUN 2022 RAN debuts new high-speed uncrewed surface vessel-Australian Defence Magazine
- AUG 2022 Aboard the autonomous Mariner, the Navy’s latest unmanned surface ship-Breaking Defence
- Autonomous vessels in Australia-Australian Government-Australian Maritime Safety Authority.