BLUFOn 25th April 1915 the ANZACs landed on the beach at Gallipoli.
The Cove the Australian Army's home for the profession of arms provides links to some excellent videos about the 1915 Gallipoli Campaign.
About ANZAC Day
- 'Although the Gallipoli campaign failed in its military objectives, the actions of Australian and New Zealand forces during the campaign left a powerful legacy. What became known as the “Anzac legend” became an important part of the identity of both nations, shaping the ways in which they viewed both their past and their future.' The Anzac Day Tradition | Australian War Memorial (awm.gov.au)
'ANZAC Day causes Australians to reflect upon the enduring symbols of independence, nationhood and the quintessential ethos of mateship which remains so embedded in the psyche of the Australian nation.' From: Chapter 1 - The Significance of the Gallipoli Peninsula – Parliament of Australia (aph.gov.au)
'Altogether, the equivalent of some 16 British, Australian, New Zealand, Indian, and French divisions took part in the campaign. British Commonwealth casualties, apart from heavy losses among old naval ships, were 213,980'. From: Gallipoli Campaign | Summary, Map, Casualties, Significance, & Facts | Britannica
The GALLIPOLI Campaign 1915. From: Key facts of Gallipoli casualties (sbs.com.au)
- Australia: 50,000 served in Gallipoli campaign, 5482 killed in action, 2012 died of wounds, 665 died of disease, total deaths 8159, 17,924 wounded, 70 prisoners of war.
- New Zealand: 8556 served, 2721 died, 4752 wounded, total casualties 7473.
- Britain: 410,000 served, 41,148 killed, 78,000 wounded, total casualties 119,148.
- India: 5000 served, 1350 died, 2700 wounded, total casualties 4050.
- Newfoundland: 1000 served, 49 killed, 300 wounded, 349 total casualties.
- France: 79,000 served, 9789 killed, 17,371 wounded, total casualties 27,169.
- Turkey: estimated 85,000 dead, 250,000 casualties.
- (Source Australian War Memorial, Bully Beef and Balderdash by Graham Wilson).
- MILITARY HISTORY: INDEX of PAGES AND COLLECTIONS ON THE RAAF RUNWAY
- Gallipoli Campaign | Summary, Map, Casualties, Significance, & Facts | Britannica
- What You Need To Know About The Gallipoli Campaign | Imperial War Museums (iwm.org.uk)
- Gallipoli Campaign 1915 - Anzac Portal (dva.gov.au)
Source Information: The Cove (Australian Army)
- Article Source: Home | The Cove (army.gov.au)
- Media Check: The Cove | The Cove (army.gov.au)
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC |