In 1894, Japan's fleet overcame China's off the Korean coast, initiating China's "century of humiliation." This victory sparked Japan's half-century dominance as a leading Asian military and naval force.
- China was humiliated by Japan in the Battle of the Yalu in 1894.
- This battle led to Japan's ascension as the dominant regional power until its World War II defeat by the USA.
- China is determination to avoid a repeat of its past humiliation and aims to become the dominant regional power.
- China has built a significant, modern yet untried navy.
- Japan, in contrast, also possesses a modern, untested navy, but is bolstered by its alliance with the USA.