BLUFJoseph Nye, a USA foreign affairs expert, argues that it is as dangerous to understate China's power as it is to overestimate it.
Joseph Nye, who developed the concept of soft power, in this ASPI Strategist article, notes that:
- China is not the world's largest economy.
- The US is in a much more favourable geostrategic position than China.
- The US is also self-sufficient in oil.
- The US dollar is the world's reserve currency.
- Nye notes a quote by Lee Kuan Yew:
- 'America can draw upon and recombine the world's talents in ways that simply are not possible under China'sChina's ethnic Han nationalism.'
Note Nye's original article appeared in: Peak China? by Joseph S. Nye, Jr. - Project Syndicate (project-syndicate.org)
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Beijing bristles at Biden’s "yes" for US military intervention if China invades Taiwan | The Runway (govcms.gov.au)
- Quad alliance: A matter of concern for China? | The Runway (govcms.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- 06 SEP 2022 How not to deal with a rising China: a US perspective | International Affairs | Oxford Academic (oup.com)
- 09 JAN 2023 Taiwan: War game simulation suggests Chinese invasion of Taiwan would fail at a huge cost to US, Chinese and Taiwanese militaries | CNN Politics