BLUFThe first Australian-produced military combat-aircraft in more than 50 years is an Uninhabited Aerial Vehicle (UAV) that will be officially known as the MQ-28A ‘Ghost Bat’.
This article by the Australian Defence Magazine makes the following points:
- The name ‘Ghost Bat’ was chosen because both the Australian mammal and Australia's new Uninhabited Aerial Vehicle (UAV) detect prey and hunt as a member of a team.
- With a rapid development timetable of just three years from concept to first flight, the program leverages advancements in digital engineering, advanced manufacturing and Australian supply chain technologies.
- Defence Minister Peter Dutton announced the name at a ceremony held at RAAF Base Amberley in Queensland.
- While the RAAF Loyal Wingman development program name will phase out, Boeing’s product name for global customers will remain the Airpower Teaming System.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
- MAR 2022 Loyal Wingman To Be Officially Named ‘Ghost Bat’—Australian Aviation
- MAR 2022 Loyal Wingman now formally known as the ‘Ghost Bat’—Defence Connect