Four volunteers started the CHAPEA experiment on June 25, 2023, studying long-term living on Mars in a simulated habitat called Mars Dune Alpha.
- Mars Dune Alpha is a 3D-printed living space at NASA's Johnson Space Center.
- The mission includes virtual reality-based spacewalk simulations.
- Communication with the outside world will be delayed, mimicking Mars communication delays.
- The mission aims to understand the physical and behavioral challenges of a Mars mission.
- The habitat is designed with space missions in mind, featuring airlocks and a medical station.