In Papua New Guinea (PNG), a gang known for a previous kidnapping incident is reportedly causing terror among local women and girls. Authorities believe these are the same criminals who held an Australian professor and three PNG women hostage in February.
- The gang kidnapped and raped several women and girls in the remote village of Walagu in PNG's Southern Highlands.
- Many of the kidnapped women were as young as 12; some were taken from the local school.
- The same gang is suspected of having kidnapped an Australian professor and three women earlier in February.
- The criminals have been called "domestic terrorists" by PNG's police commissioner, who seeks to enhance the country's criminal code in response.
- PNG's challenging terrain, limited phone reception, and lack of roads are obstacles in the search.