BLUFFollowing the death of Al Qaeda's leader by a US drone strike on 31 July, leaders of the former Afghan government claim other terrorist leaders are now evacuating Kabul for fear of their lives.
This article by Avani Dias and Som Patidar, writing for ABC-Australia, makes the following points:
- Seventy-one-year-old Ayman al-Zawahiri was killed while standing on the balcony of his four-storey safe-house.
- The USA had set a bounty of $US25 million ($36m) on Zawahiri.
- Zawahiri had been Osama bin Laden's right-hand man until US Seals killed bin Laden in 2011.
- Zawahiri was believed to be the architect of the September 11 terrorist attacks in the US.
References from the Web:
- AUG 2022 Ayman al-Zawahiri: US warns of possible retaliation over al-Qaeda death—BBC
- AUG 2022 Death of al-Zawahiri reduces risks of another 9/11 but will not deter lone wolves—The Hill
- AUG 2022 Taliban says was not aware al Qaeda leader in Kabul, warns U.S.—Reuters
- AUG 2022 Zawahiri's victims: What it feels like to hear he's gone—BBC
- Article Source: ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
- Media Check: ABC News - Media Bias Fact Check (mediabiasfactcheck.com)
- RAAF RUNWAY: RATIONALE, GUIDELINES, LEARNING OUTCOMES, ETC |