BLUFBuilding on the 2007 Joint Declaration on Security Cooperation—future cooperation could involve the development of military hardware using recent developments in AI and quantum computing.
Thomas Wilkins writing in the Strategist, makes the following points:
- The second face-to-face Prime Minister’s Kishida and Albanese meeting since May.
- The two countries already have a reciprocal access agreement.
- Likely cooperation on cyber, space and environmental security.
- The Partnership for the Blue Pacific includes both nations plus New Zealand, the US, the UK and New Zealand.
- A formal military alliance or treaty is unlikely.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
- Japan’s push to double defense spending ties directly back to Ukraine | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- Deeper Australia–Japan defence ties send strong message to China | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
References from the Web:
- OCT 2022 What’s New in Australia and Japan’s Updated Joint Declaration of Security Cooperation?-the Diplomat
- OCT 2022 Japan, Australia upgrade security pact against China threat-CNBC