BLUFAustralia and Japan have both agreed on the Reciprocal Access Agreement (RAA); the RAA is more important than it seems as it indicates that both Japan and Australia share a common strategic outlook.
This Jan 22 article by Peter Jennings, the executive director of the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, makes the following points:
- Japan and Australia can provide substance to a relationship other than just words.
- The Reciprocal Access Agreement (RAA) provides specifics on how our defence forces will cooperate and work with each other.
- The result of this agreement could mean that Japanese and Australian troops are likely to train and possibly exercise together.
- Japanese aircraft could access our training ranges.
- Australian maritime assets could operate out of Japanese ports.
- By aligning with each other, Australia and Japan can stop China from turning nations in Southeast Asia into separate isolated states.
- Japan and Australia are determined to keep the USA engaged in their region.
- Australia might be able also to provide Japan with assured energy supplies.
- Liquefied natural gas is a major Australian export to Japan.
- Japan, the USA and Australia are not seeking a confrontation with China.
- In Jan 2022, the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) came into force.
- The RCEP includes China, Japan and Australia but not the USA.
- The RAA, together with the AUKUS security pact between Australia, the USA and the UK, and the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue, plus a closer relationship with South Korea, show that China cannot intimidate countries in its region.
Recent Runway Posts about Japan:
- JAN 22 Second-hand Japanese boats could rapidly expand Australia’s submarine force | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- DEC 21 Japan, Vietnam Look to Cyber Defense Against China | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- DEC 21 Hew undersea internet cable for Nauru, Kiribati and the Federated States of Micronesia will be funded by Australia, the US and Japan | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- OCT 21 How will the Australia- Japan relationship fare under Prime Minister Fumio Kishida? | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
- SEP 21 Why Australia matters more than ever for Japan | The Runway (airforce.gov.au)
Note also the following Content Aggregator:
References from other sources:
- JAN 22 Japan and Australia commit to deeper ties - Defence Connect
- JAN 22 Australia’s LNG exports hit record high in 2021 – but peak is near (smh.com.au)
- JAN 22 Australia, Japan to sign security cooperation treaty (yahoo.com)