Australian business preferences for university graduates for high-level tech jobs misjudges the relevance of computer degrees and contributes to the current skills shortage in tech jobs.
This article from Business Insider makes the following points:
- There is a critical shortage of tech workers in Australia.
- Australian business is missing out on top-tier tech talent.
- Major employers remain reticent to train their staff in required skills.
- Australia’s big employers require applicants to have a university degree,”
- Computer science degrees tend to date as universities struggle to keep up with current trends in the technology sector.
- An exception is Victoria’s Monash University 24-week coding boot camp, with a flexible curriculum that is responsive to current market demand.
- Alternatives like Amazon’s re/Start initiative are designed to up-skill workers from non-IT backgrounds.
Recent Runway Posts related to this topic:
References from the Web:
Source Information: Business Insider